Sunday, July 30, 2006

Acronyms

I've noticed an interesting phenomenon in telugu acronyms. One day I was watching a telugu news channel and they were referring to an organization called "Terassa". I couldn't figure out what it was for a while, and then realized it was the "Telangana Rashtra Samiti" (google it if you care). They were referring to it by its acronym, only the acronym was being made up by the first letter of the word as written in telugu: Te(lan ga na) Ra(shtra) Sa(mi ti). The point is, for a long time, even telugu newspapers and tv used the english acronyms so it seems somebody realized there was a way to overthrow this irksome English imperialism. I'm all for it. However, they were still referring to the Telugu Desam Party as TDP since that is an acronym that has been around for a while. The Terassa came up recently so I guess they could use the new way of doing it. Since then I have seen this new acronymizing in other places in Telugu, so I guess its here to stay.
I noticed a similar thing some years back in how some people called BMW (the car company) as Beemwa which is (I don't know for sure actually, but seems very logical) the way the acromym would be pronounced in German.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home