Sunday, January 07, 2007

YouTube is 'uuuge'

When somebody told me about the Ali G/Chomsky interview, I looked it up on Google and found it at YouTube. Then I looked up Chomsky (since I think so highly of him) on YouTube and found a whole bunch of uploads of his talks. And then I remembered the old Russell Peters stuff and looked him up, and again about a 100 Russell Peters uploads there. And then it struck me that YouTube is now almost like a Google for video, or a Wikipedia for video (or more ominously for it, a Napster for video). It your first stop to check for anything interesting in video and in that way its seems a perfect match for Google to buy. (Thinking deeper into the analogy it breaks down, as Google just points you to stuff, whereas stuff actually resides on YouTube)

Wikipedia is other cool site on the web that I've used quite a lot during my explorations of the past few months. But it deserves some more research before a post on it due to the interesting sociology of Wikipedia. For now, I'll just link to it, and increase its Google PageRank infinitesimally as a token of appreciation.


Addendum: It occurred to me later that none of the cool stuff above and and all the other cool stuff on the web (tell me if I'm wrong), has anything to do with Microsoft. In fact no website that I spend any length of time on, has anything to do with MSFT, and that's not because I consciously avoid them either. My theory is (or perhaps law, it seems obvious) that Microsoft culture is fundamentally orthogonal to community/sharing/no-profit ideas. So they just don't know what to do about all this stuff. Must be rough on them, slaving away in Redmond on Windows Vista (where's that at now?) watching all this other cool stuff unfold. BTW -- so far I've managed (not swimmingly, but managed nevertheless) without installing Microsoft Office on my laptop at home. I've been using Open Office which is quite nice.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home