Friday, January 11, 2008

The Tata Nano is here (well not quite)



In continuation of my previous post -- The Tata Nano is here. Time for me to skedaddle ? Well I have a little more time I guess for it to actually hit the road. I broached my theory to Priya and got a very frosty reception so I guess its an uphill task.

Two points I could add to my earlier analysis: one is that there is a safety aspect that Ratan Tata talked about that is very nice. Whenever I see families of 4 or 5 precariously travelling on a two-wheeler, I found it quite irritating and ungraceful. Why do people do these things -- why do you insist on having 2 children without the wherewithal to transport them in a decent, safe way ? Perhaps that's too harsh and for whatever reason people are stuck in that situation and the Tata car will be a godsend for several such people who can afford it. And the safety value of driving your family around in a car rather than a 2-wheeler is something that these people will always be grateful to Tata for.

The other thing is more or less obvious -- having a car and driving around in it, and taking potshots at the Tata car for worsening congestion is a dummy thing to do. I guess I have no leg to stand on, since I haven't made any serious attempt to use public transpo myself. All the more reason then to take the dignified option and flee to the countryside ?

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home