Saturday, May 03, 2008

Musings

Sometimes I have the opportunity afforded by my current circumstances, to clearly look at my 'market value' and ability to make a living. In a corporate job, you are specialized cog-in-wheel, and enmeshed in a particular context. Coming out of that context and blunting my competitiveness there, I have to look at myself in a general way and see -- where can I add value ? What could I do for a living if I needed to look for a job ? Its a scary evaluation, but liberating too because you are not depending on a context any more.

========

Deve Gowda is an ass (oxymoron?). He simply cannot forget that he was a past prime minister. Atleast three times I've seen him in the news (and I don't follow the political news much) saying things like "For an former PM .." , "This is an insult for a former PM .."

=======

My current job has one fantastic upside -- the incredible relevance to daily life in India. I cannot open a newspaper without immediately noticing an article about water. And whenever I see an article, the next question is -- what can the Portal do about it. Most of the time I can't find an answer, so its frustrating. But, that's a problem worth having .. makes for 24 hours engagement with the topic.

====

I didn't get sleep last night and picked up Romila Thapar's "A History of India" and randomly started reading. Cholas attack Pandyas attack Cheras attack Chalukyas attack Ceylon win lose up down dominate recede this king that king .. did it strike nobody that this was a pretty stupid business. And how do we communicate to the children in teaching history that it is so ? Sting in one of his albums talks about how he felt that history was nothing but a depressing string of 'robber baron scumbags' and created a song "History teaches us nothing" around it.
Falling asleep while reading a book is a delicious feeling.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home