Friday, November 03, 2006

More books




'Ravan and Eddie' which I talked about earlier, turned out a disappointment. Not a very fun book to read, although lots of the author's talent in abundant evidence. Similiarly with 'City of Djinns' by William Dalyrymple. I had ready "From the Holy Mountain" and was hugely impressed by it. City of Djinns is about Delhi. Dalyrymple notes that he had a huge struggle to finish the book and it seems to show. There are lots of interesting things he explores but some not-so-interesting ones too and the book doesn't have much of a theme and direction. It comes across like my own writing -- raw and whimsical and too often frivolous :-).

I picked up "Life of Pi" by Yann Martel, but didn't finish it. It was a Booker Prize winner and I'm not impressed at all. It has a story and all, and the writer has some talent but really didn't capture my interest at all. I think this is a personal opinion. Most of the time, I feel my comments are reasonably objective, occasionally not, like this time.

All the above were from Easylib, so its obviously been working great for me, though looks like I might overdo it. Here's my current waitlisted books on Easylib:

Boundless Energy : The Complete mindbody programme for overcoming chronic fatigue by Deepak Chopra. I feel quite lethargic most of the time, hence this.
In Xanadu: A Quest: By William Dalyrymple again. Giving him one more chance
Gods Little Soldier: By Kiran Nagarkar. Ditto
Fire on The Mountain: By Anita Desai. This on a recommendation by an old Timpany classmate, Geeta
Weekend Breaks from Bangalore: I would like to go hiking in Coorg or somewhere
The Motorcycle Diaries: About Che Guevera. Was made into a acclaimed film which I missed on my trip to the US
Caesar: From Colleen McCullogh's tremendous series about Rome

As I said, I'm in danger of overdoing it :-)

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home