Friday, February 16, 2007

Inglish

I updated my old article on Indian English, so thought I would push it here:


http://www.geocities.com/ahminotep/IndiaBlog/inglish.html


It could actually grow to something quite substantial at some point (definitely there's enough bad usage around to make it substantial)

On another front, there is a small project that I started but haven't made much progress with yet. The idea came from a Tintin comic where Thomson and Thompson introduce themselves as 'Thompson with a p as in "psychology" and 'Thomson, without a "p" as in Venezuela'. Don't worry if you didn't get the second part of the joke, I didn't too, for a long time. Anyway the 'p as in 'psychology' is something that always amused me. I want to come up with similiar ones for all the letters of the alphabet. The only criterion is that it should be confusing and not illuminating and each one should be creative and different from the others . Here's my list so far:


a as in 'awe'
b as in 'bee'
.
e as in 'eye'
f as in 'effort'
.
o as in 'circular'
p as in 'psychology'
(or p as in 'urinate')
.
s as in 'sea'
.
u as in 'usufructuary' (yes there is such a word. I've come across it in water-related contexts at Arghyam. As the link says its one of the few words that has 4 'u's in it. What better ?).


Help me complete it.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home